Sunday, January 16, 2011

1979 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker

Before and after photos of my 1979 Yamaha XS650 project.

                          The day I brought it back home in January 2007.

                        Back on the road in 2010 after I did a little work on it.


 I purchased this motorcycle brand new in 1979. It was the first new motorcycle I ever bought. In 1983 I sold it to my brother and bought a new Honda CB900F.  My brother owned it for a long time but didn't ride it much after the first few years. 
 Several years ago one of my nephews(a different brother's son) asked me about buying a cheap motorcycle and I told him to ask his other uncle about the 650. He got it from my brother and rode it a little and then put it away.
 In 2006 I got the bug to work on a project motorcycle and asked my nephew if he still had my old 650 and if he would be interested in getting rid of it. He still had the bike and had it stored at his brother-in-laws barn. He was willing to part with it. A couple of days later I went to pick it up. It was dirty but complete.
 I wanted to turn it into a flat track replica and started tearing it apart. As I could afford to buy parts I slowly put it back together and finished in the spring of 2010. In 2010 I put 1200 miles on it and had a blast. Now I just have to maintain it and start on another project.

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I want to say that I think that bike project turned out so cool, but the story is even cooler.

    ReplyDelete